Monday, March 16, 2009

5 weeks, 3 days- Timing is everything


We have all heard that saying a million times in our lives, but until the past few weeks I was a little skeptical. I mean come on, EVERYTHING. I used to believe that maybe timing was sort of important. I could even go with pretty important, but EVERYTHING seems a little much. That is of course until I became a mother for the second time. Before you roll your eyes, let me present the evidence to support my case.

1. 40 weeks of pregnancy. I am absolutely in awe of the miracle of growing a baby inside of me. It is too much to take if you think about it too long, so I just stand in awe for bit and then move on before I get too dizzy from it all. But the real miracle to me is the timing of the matter. I know that creating a working, healthy human is a lot of work, and man did God ever know what he was doing when he set up the whole gestation in a human thing. I am sure it went something like this..."well it will take a while for the baby to mature and grow, but I think that if I let her/him say in too long then the mother may not make it without going crazy." Well God you are brilliant. (for many other reasons, but this is one of my favorites). Speaking from recent experience, 40 weeks of pregnancy is plenty! It is just long enough for the baby to grow and become ready to meet the world. It is also just long enough for the mother to stay sane enough to care for the little guy when he gets here. Another important thing to consider is the mother's physical state. I am not sure that a human body could be so distorted for any longer than that and still go back to "normal." I use that term very loosely. No pun intended.

2. Babies- ages and stages: Avery is now 5 weeks old and is starting to smile and coo. I am in love with her to say the least. I know that you are thinking, "yes but what does timing have to do with it....well give me a minute. It takes a mother a little while to stop talking about her baby and get to the point. (especially when they are so darn cute. ok back to what I was saying.) Babies are built to do cute stuff at just the right time for a reason. It has been over a month since we have been home together and things are not really a breeze yet. We are still not sleeping well and a shower is still a luxury. These kinds of things can really wear on a person especially when you are in such a haze that there is no end in sight. This is where the baby's timing comes in to play. After a rough night, you stumble to the changing table to change what seems like the stinkiest diaper in the whole universe (thanks to the really expensive stinky formula) and you look down at the baby's cute little round face and she is smiling up at you. That one smile is enough fuel to get you though anything. Unless you have been there you won't believe how magical that moment can really be. You will just have to trust me on that one.

The smile is not the only weapon that the baby has to win you over. The cooing and chattering comes at a welcome time as well. After two months of being at home mostly by yourself you start to get a little bored. And then all of a sudden, the baby starts to communicate with you in their own little adorable way and again you are reminded how wonderful this mommy gig can really be. There are other various stages that are more than welcomed by parents such as potty training (just when there is no way that you could change another dirty diaper) and walking (when your baby suddenly gets a little much to be lugging around all the time.) Each one of these feels like an answered prayer and they keep you going when you just aren't sure that you have it in you.

3. Do you want a sister or a puppy? How about both?-Alison has been such a trooper during this whole transition period. She is absolutely the best daughter that anyone could ask for. Mike and I even feel guilty sometimes that she is taking it so well. She never gets upset and just goes with the flow. It is a little like when you were younger and a friend was ticked at you, yet they just went on without telling you what is really going on. I do know that she has been lonely because she told me that she was really happy when I had an extra 20 minutes to play dolll house with her because she just doesn't want to do things all by herself anymore. (I am still recovering from this one....) The point here is...for her this timing thing is true because we finally gave in and got her a dog. "We" is a term that really means that I had to be gone overnight last week and I returned to find Alison in the yard playing with a puppy. I really wasn't that mad even though I have spent the past few months in complete resistance to this puppy movement that Alison and Mike have started. I know that it was the timing of the matter that made me give in. So just ask Alison if timing is everything... I am sure she will agree.

This timing thing really is everything to me right now. It is not just the timing of things going on around me; It is bigger than that. Even if if doesn't always seem like it now, this is the most important time of my life and I need to be aware of the significance of that . I keep trying desperately to burn it all deep into my memory just in case this is the last time that I find myself here. I hope it is working.

1 comment:

  1. well it looks like by the picture that Alison got both! is that a new puppy i see posing for that pic?

    ReplyDelete